The Master in Physics of Condensed Matter and Biological Systems is associated to the Official Doctorate Program in Physics of Condensed Matter, Nanoscience and Biophysics. This Inter-University Doctorate Programme is offered jointly by the Universidad Autonoma de Madrid (Coordinator partner), the Universidad de Murcia, and the Universidad de Oviedo. At UAM both the Department of Condensed Matter Physics and the Department of Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics participate in the Programme.
The members of the Academic Committee at UAM are:
Rubén Pérez (Coordinator). Department of Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics.
Pablo García González. Department of Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics.
Juan José de Miguel. Department of Condensed Matter Physics.
Raúl Guantes. Department of Condensed Matter Physics.
According to the current Spanish Legislation (RD 99/2011), the PhD is a three-year programme leading to the doctor degree. Students will develop their own research project, working with their academic supervisor(s) and in collaboration with other postgraduate students and scientists in their research group or laboratory. The students are expected to complete and submit their thesis within three years. However, they may request an additional period of one year to complete and submit their thesis.
Admission procedures, dates and more information can be found in the Official Postgraduate web page
Together with the development of their scientific project, the students are expected to participate (among others) in the following training-through-research activities:
- Attendance to research seminars.
- Preparation and presentation of research seminars.
- Short stays in other research centers.
- Participation in international conferences, workshops, and schools.
- Publication of scientific papers in peer-reviewed international journals.
These research activities will be uploaded by the student during each mentorship one-year period in the electronic application provided once they are admitted. Please consult there the necessary documents. All the uploaded documents must be validated by PhD supervisor and tutor.
Important instructions for students:
In the motivation letter, students should specify:
– The interest and relationship of the PhD project with one of the research lines included in the program:
- Biophysics and Statistical Physics of Complex Systems.
- Nanoplasmonics, Nanoelectronics, and Quantum Optics.
- Low-temperature Physics (Superconductivity, Superfluidity).
- Surface Physics.
- First-principles Simulations and Modeling.
- Experimental Characterization of Physical Properties in Molecular and Biological Systems and Nanostructures
– The name, affiliation and e-mail contact of the Thesis supervisor. In case the supervisor does not belong to the Science Faculty at UAM, the student will need also a tutor from one of the Departments associated to the PhD program. The student and her/his Thesis director will propose a tutor whose name, affiliation and contact must be included in the motivation letter. In case they do not know any appropriate researcher to act as tutor, they should contact the academic committee.
Instructions for tutors: