Period: Second ECTS: 4
Topic 1 Concepts of classical electrodynamics
Macroscopic Maxwell equations. Wave equation. Dyadic Green’s function. Poynting theorem. Angular spectrum representation of optical fields. Plane waves and evanescent waves.
Topic 2 Guided and confined fields
Electromagnetic modes in cylindrical waveguides. Dielectric waveguides. Resonant cavities.
Topic 3 Plasmonics
Optical properties of noble metals. Surface plasmon polaritons at planar interfaces. Localized surface plasmons. Guiding and focusing of surface plasmon polaritons. Enhanced transmission of radiation through subwavelength apertures and apertures arrays.
Topic 4 Near-field optics
The resolution limit. Principles of confocal microscopy.Scanning near-field optical microscopy (SNOM). Applications of SNOM. The nanoscope.
Topic 5 Periodically structured media
Photonic crystals: Physical mechanism underlying the photonic gap. Band structures and photonic Bloch modes. Metamaterials: Negative-index materials and negative refraction. The perfect lens. Transformation optics. Optical cloaking.
Topic 6 Free electromagnetic field quantization
Canonical quantization. Fields, potentials, and transversality. Reciprocal space. Normal variables. Free radiation Hamiltonian. Quantum fields. Fock space.
Topic 7 Light fluctuations and coherence
Classical and quantum fluctuations. Quadratures. Coherent states. Squeezed states. Homodyne detection. Classical and quantum coherence. First and second order degree of coherence. Mach-Zehnder and Hanbury Brown-Twiss interferometry.
Topic 8 Light-matter interaction
Semiclassical theory. Rabi oscillations. Optical Bloch equations. Linear optical response. Quantization of light in the presence of charges. Spontaneous emission. Jaynes-Cummings model.
- J. D. Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics. Wiley, 3rd edition, 1999.
- L. Novotny and B. Hecht, Principles of Nano-Optics. Cambridge University Press, 2nd edition, 2012.
- S. A. Maier, Plasmonics: Fundamentals and Applications. Springer, 1st edition, 2007.
- J. D. Joannopoulos, S. G. Johnson, J. N. Winn, and R. D. Meade, Photonic Crystals: Molding the Flow of Light. Princeton University Press, 2nd edition, 2008.
- G. Grynberg, A. Aspect, and C. Fabre, Introduction to Quantum Optics: From the Semi-classical Approach to Quantized Light, Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- R. Loudon, The Quantum Theory of Light, 3rd edition, Oxford University Press, 2000.
- M. O. Scully and M. S. Zubairy, Quantum Optics. Cambridge University Press, 1997.
Coordinator Esteban Moreno Soriano
More info on the course official guide (Guía docente)